Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Because Who Doesn't Love Cafe Rio???

As a trainer, you find that there are those restaurants (and foods in general) out there which clients all around can't seem to get rid of.  However, as a trainer, I HATE these restaurants.  Well, instead of hating them, I took upon a new project for myself...I am going to take requests from my clients and friends of what food and/or restaurants they can't give up, and want a healthier alternative.
First of all these requests is Cafe Rio...who doesn't love Cafe Rio?!?  This is going to be dedicated to some of my best friends and I who happen to LOVE Cafe Rio, don't we Britt, Sarah, and Whit?!?! This isn't exactly Cafe Rio, I wouldn't claim that I'm capable of producing that kind of deliciousness (because I refuse to pack that many calories into food) :)

Okay the first thing you want to do is get the chicken boiling to be shredded and the rice cooking.  Remember whole wheat rice! Instead of using water to boil the rice, or use in the rice cooker, use chicken broth. Add lime juice.  Add 1 teaspoon of fajita seasoning.
While these are cooking, make tortilla dough:
2 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
1/2 cup of unbleached flour
3/4 c of hot water
1/4 c of milk
2 tbsp of shortening (no trans fat)
1 tspn salt
1 tspn baking powder
Mix dry ingredients. Add wet. Knead. Let sit while finishing preparing meal.  After rest of meal is prepared, go back to tortilla.  Roll out dough til about 1/2 inch thickness.  Place on skillet.  Cook on medium for five minutes and flip over. Continue til middle is done.  Don't burn!
Other preparation:
Chop up the following:
Tomatoes, Green Peppers, Red Peppers, Cilantro, Onion, Olives
Shred chicken
Shred cheese
Shred dark green lettuce leaves.
Warm up black or pinto beans and corn.
When tortilla is done, place a handful of chicken, 1/4 cup beans, 1/4 cup rice, Chopped up Veggies, place 1/4 cup of cheese on top. Place in microwave for thirty seconds.  Put a couple tortilla strips on top for crunch.  Add salsa if desired!
You don't need to add any dressing! This is good without it! Squeeze lime juice if you want!
Enjoy! Let me know if you love it!
Not even close to amount of calories from Cafe Rio! Don't forget to stop eating if you get full! Split with roommates or spouse or child or sibling, it's a pretty big amount. Also, don't let your eyes do the loading of the food, get portions of PC Combo right!!

2 comments:

Becky said...

Although I'm sure this is a terrific substitution, I don't know many people who would have the time to make this recipe.

Brittany Evans said...

Mmmm I want some Cafe Rio right now!!! I'll have to try your recipe! :)