Thursday, November 4, 2010

Preparation is Key to Success!

One thing that I have really noticed in my life as a college student is the need for preparation.  If I want to be successful in any aspect of life, I must prepare. This is also the case with our health.  If I wake up in the morning and think that if I have time, I'll go to the gym, I'm never going to get there.  However, if I wake up and think I'm going to the gym at 6:30, and I am going to complete my hour of readings for my class, or I will go to the gym at 7 while my show comes on and watch while I run, etc. We can fit in exercise, it just is a matter of moving a few things around.
On top of that, food is another area we must prepare in.  Sundays are generally pretty chill days for the majority of Americans.  This is a great day to sit down in the kitchen and pantry and see what groceries are available and making good choices to begin preparing meals so we don't get crammed at the last minute and resort to what I call Satan's restaurant: McDonalds, or for that matter, any fast food restaurant.  Even if we don't choose fast food, we may choose processed food, such as, Mac n Cheese, PastaRoni, or Ramen noodles. These are full of sodium and horrible chemicals that give us problems in our digestive track and give us a lot of calories with little substance.
When I take some time to prepare food, I put all my snacks into Ziploc baggies.  This accomplishes the need to prepare, but also helps to sort out food so when we grab a snack, we don't grab too many calories.  (Check out my posting on snacks)
Another good idea is to make sauces, soups, chilis, etc and freeze until you are ready for it.  Take a Sunday to make a huge batch of homeade spaghetti sauce. Then on the day you want it, take out of freezer. Put a chicken on the George Foreman, boil some whole wheat noodles and broccoli, and BAM you have a delicious meal!

No comments: